Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Crib Notes: Finding Missing Single- Or Double-Quote Pairs

So, today, was writing a BASH utility. As per normal, I have a commit-time check that runs it through shellchecker. That test came up green. However, when I ran the script if finished by complaining:


XXXXXX.sh: line 290: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
Naturally, my reaction was something along the lines of:




I mean, shellchecker's usually pretty damned good about finding trivial flubs like that. So, Googled about to see if there was an easy way to double-check things. My search was fruitful – I found this cute, little snippet:
| tr -cd '"\n' | awk 'length%2==1 {print NR, $0}'
I catted my script to that pipe and, for better or worse, it agreed with shellchecker that all my single- and double-quotes were properly paired.

No comments:

Post a Comment