Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Crib Notes: Has My EC2's AMI-Publisher Updated Their AMIs

Discovered, late yesterday afternoon, that the automation I'd used to deploy my development-EC2, had had some updates and that these updates (rotating some baked-in query-credentials) were breaking my  development-EC2's ability to use some resources (since they could no longer access those resources). So, today, I'll need to re-deploy my EC2. I figured that, since it'd been since September 14th since I'd launched my EC2, perhaps a new AMI was available (our team publishes new AMIs each month). So, what's a quick way to tell if a new AMI is available? Some nested AWS CLI commands:

aws \
  --output text ec2 describe-images \
  --owner $(
  aws ec2 describe-images \
    --output text \
    --image-ids $(
    aws ec2 describe-instances \
      --output text \
      --query 'Reservations[].Instances[].ImageId' \
      --instance-ids <CURRENT_EC2_ID>  ) \
  --query 'Images[].OwnerId'
) \
  --query 'Images[].{ImageId:ImageId,CreationDate:CreationDate,Name:Name}' | \
sort -nk 1

Sadly, the answer, today, is, "no". I apparently, this month's release-date is going to be later today or tomorrow. So, I'll just be re-deploying from September's AMI.

No comments:

Post a Comment