Monday, March 6, 2023

Stop Tramping On My Toes

 A week or so ago, I was asked by my customer to write some (AWS) account-import scripts to help their Ops team bring account-resources under Terragrunt contol. No big deal.

I inform the customer, "I need an account that I'm free to spin up and tear down so I can test the scripts as I write them." Customer responds back, supplying me with an account in which to do my work.

Now, there's a lot of stuff that needs to be accounted for in the import automation. Things were going decently well, until late last week. Then things got squirrely. Upon investigating, I see the telltales signs that I haven't been the only person using the target account and that the other person's activities have undermined all of the assumptions that were in my scripts.

I ask for help razing the account and point out that it looks like someone else had been using the account while it was supposed to be for my sole use. Another "engineer" on the team – one who has been regularly tramping on everyone else's toes by just accessing accounts and working in them – chimes in on the thread saying, "yeah: I ran <CODE> in that account, last week?"

Color me utterly non-shocked. Also, color wanting to choke the shit out of the asshole for breaking shit, again by conducting activities with no coordination.

So, now I have to wait until someone with more permissions than I have on the account can go in and flatten the account, so I can build it back to the state I was expecting to be working from.

I mean, I supposed I should be used to it, by now. Further, I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that an "engineer" who barely knows how to use git would operate like a freaking wrecking ball. But it's no less frustrating each time he blows me or someone else up with his carelessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment