Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Travis, EL7 and Docker-Based Testing

As noted in a prior post, lot of my customer-oriented activities support deployment within networks that are either partially- or wholly-isolated from the public Internet. Yesterday, as part of supporting one such customer, I was stood up a new project to help automate the creation of yum repository configuration RPMs for private networks. I've had to hand-jam such files twice, now, and there's unwanted deltas between the two jam-sessions (in defense, they were separated from each other by nearly a three-year time-span). So, I figured it was time to standardize and automate things.

Usually, when I stand up a project, I like to include tests of the content that I wish to deliver. Since most of my projects are done in public GitHub repositories, I typically use TravisCI to automate my testing. Prior to this project, however, I wasn't trying to automate the validity-testing of RPM recipes via Travis. Typically, when automating creation of RPMs I wish to retain or deliver, I set up a Jenkins job that takes the resultant RPMs and stores them in Artifactory – both privately-hosted services. Most of my prior Travis jobs were simple, syntax-checkers (using tools like shellcheck, JSON validators, CFn validators, etc.) rather than functionality-checkers.

This time, however, I was trying to deliver a functionality (RPM spec files that would be used to generate source files from templates and package the results). So, I needed to be able to test that a set of spec files and source-templates could be reliably-used to generate RPMs. This meant, I needed my TravisCI job to generate "throwaway" RPMs from the project-files.

The TravisCI system's test-hosts are Ubuntu-based rather than RHEL or CentOS based.While there are some tools that will allow you to generate RPMs on Ubuntu, there've been some historical caveats on their reliability and/or representativeness. So, my preference was to be able to use a RHEL or CentOS-based context for my test-packagings. Fortunately, TravisCI does offer the ability to use Docker on their test-hosts.

In general, setting up a Docker-oriented job is relatively straight forward. Where things get "fun" is that the version of `rpmbuild` that comes with Enterprise Linux 7 gets kind of annoyed if it's not able to resolve the UIDs and GIDs of the files it's trying to build from (never mind that the build-user inside the running Docker-container is "root" ...and has unlimited access within that container). If it can't resolve them, the rpmbuild tasks fail with a multitude of not terribly helpful "error: Bad owner/group: /path/to/repository/file" messages.

After googling about, I ultimately found that I needed to ensure that the UIDs and GIDs of the project-content need to exist within the Docker-container's /etc/passwd and /etc/group files, respectively. Note: most of the "top" search results Google returned to me indicated that the project files needed to be `chown`ed. However, simply being mappable proved to be sufficient.

Rounding the home stretch...

To resolve the problem, I needed to determine what UIDs and GIDs the project-content had inside my Docker-container. That meant pushing a Travis job that included a (temporary) diagnostic-block to stat the relevant files and return me their UIDs and GIDs. Once the UIDs and GIDs were determined, I needed to update my Travis job to add relevant groupadd and useradd statements to my container-preparation steps. What I ended up with was.

    sudo docker exec centos-${OS_VERSION} groupadd -g 2000 rpmbuilder
    sudo docker exec centos-${OS_VERSION} adduser -g 2000 -u 2000 rpmbuilder

It was late in the day, by this point, so I simply assumed that the IDs were stable. I ran about a dozen iterations of my test, and they stayed stable, but that may have just been "luck". If I run into future "owner/group" errors, I'll update my Travis job-definition to scan the repository-contents for their current UIDs and GIDs and then set them based on those. But, for now, my test harness works: I'm able to know that updates to existing specs/templates or additional specs/templates will create working RPMs when they're taken to where they need to be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment